Navigation

Friday, April 22, 2011

Asians in America

So me and one of my friends were having a quick conversation the other night.  They said something and it shocked me at first, but then after thinking about it .. I was like yeah.  I think you would have a lot of potential in that field.  We were discussing about the fact that.. MOST asian parents want their kids to be ... you know the usual..  doctors, lawyers, computer technicians, dentists, pharmacists, and the list goes on.  Our parents want us to have the jobs that make the most money that will keep us stable throughout our lives.  I understand that some of them want us to have it because since they came here not knowing any English, some of them never got the chance to really use their knowledge that they had in school.  They just want to see their kids having a bright future, and so they know for a fact that their kids will be wealthy and living a happy life with the family that they'll create someday.

AND SO!! --- As we respect our elders and our parents, most of us do end up studying in the medical field,  engineering field, law school, technology field, and all of those difficult fields.  We want to make our parents proud of us, and to be proud of ourselves for being able to achieve something our parents wanted. (This is, of course, when we actually get the job lol..) And it really is great when something so high is successfully achieved.  -- BUT! -- remember that in the end, we still have to achieve something that really makes us happy as a person.  We still want to achieve something for ourselves to really make us proud of ourselves.  No matter what it is, even if it doesn't turn out as successful as you thought it'd turn out, we can still be happy with the thought that "AT LEAST we did it".  And that can make a difference!

For example, what if some of us want to become a comedian? an actor?  a singer?  a professional pianist?  professional painter??  Garbage man?!?  lol..  From experience, whenever I wanted to do anything from the drama/arts field.. it was always hard to tell my parents.  When I was 12, I said, "Mom! Dad! I really want to become a photographer!"  Mom would just tell me that they don't make money, so I should start thinking of something else.  When I was 14, I said, "Mom! Dad! .. I want to be a model....." (Even though I knew I'd never be tall enough to do runways or become famous or anything, but there's always little commercial things and little photo shoots I could've possibly modeled for) They didn't like the idea of it, but to make me a little happy .. lol, my dad did take me and some friends to open model castings in Nebraska when I lived there, and also in Arkansas when I moved here.  I did get call backs.. but who knew I'd have to be like $3000 to get training? ahhh, we were not banking yet!!  one guy did give me a discount/coupon and told me I had potential.. but thinking about the money, I just told my dad it was okay, and we left. In high school, I was in at least 2 or 3 plays.  I never thought I'd like it so much! Especially the musicals because I got to do almost everything I loved!  I got to dance, sing, and act on stage!  I mean I can say that I'm not the best actor out there.. yes.  But after some training, a person could have a chance of getting better?  The thrill in my stomach during these times were always ecstatic! I liked the roles I played.  So after high school, I took introduction to theatre.  BEST class I had that entire semester!  Probably the best one I've had during my 3 years ! lol.. *I know.. sad huh?*  But that class almost made me want to finalize my major... onto something in the drama field.. but I was honestly scared of what my parents would think.  I told one of my brothers, and he's like "you should do it!  Because honestly, do you even think you'll like business?  Remember.. Chi only got a degree in that, so it'd make mom and dad happy.."  I wanted to do it, but I also remembered my teacher saying it's fun being an actor, but it's tough.  You'll get call backs every here and there, and sometimes you won't even get a call for a whole year.  So you'll always have to find little part-time jobs that will let you take off 4 months when they do call you for something.  THAT was the part when I thought about my parents, and how they just wanted us all to be successful.  So then I declared my major in Marketing Management.

I always wonder, when the day is that we can finally just say what we want to do.  What we think we have potential in doing and becoming.  Even if I don't do great in it, I'd enjoy every minute of it and the experience that I gained from it.

Although, it's still a little tough for Asians right now in America to get signed to anything big.  BUT I can say that we are making progress!  (Just in my opinion) As asians, it's a little harder for us to get in the showbiz -- compared to caucasians, african americans, and hispanics.  But slowly, we're getting out there a little more.  I was real proud when FarEastMovement got signed!  And most proud of (especially since he's just a natural at what he does!) MANNY PAQUIAO!  Best boxer in the entire world!! And thanks to ABDC, talented dancers like Jabbawockeez and Kaba Modern.  I think what aggravates me is all of the talented asian-american musicians on youtube aren't getting signed to anything big (or at least, not that I know of).  One person, AJ Rafael.  I've been his fan of his music for so long.  I know he has a band and music out on Itunes.  Maybe they are signed? I don't know, lol.  Someone please tell me??  I know celebrities find talented people on there and sign them as their own "justin bieber".  He is honestly talented though.  Happy for him, and I like his music.

--- but anywhoo... I'm just hoping that one day it'll be easier for us to get in that showbiz light, so it makes me feel like we have more of a chance.  Then it wouldn't be so hard to tell our parents these things lol...  I mean, yeah they'd be proud of if we're doctors.  But wouldn't it be cooler if I were starring on Grey's Anatomy?!?  They could point out and say "That's my daughter!!"  haha.

After this little talk with my friend though, I think I am going to take that acting class next semester.  Even if it's not business. I won't be graduating for another 2 years anyways =(  sad.... all of my friends that I graduated with will already be out by then lol...

If you have any comments, let me know what you think :)  

Thanks for reading this long post if you've made it to this point!


xoxo love, emily

No comments:

Post a Comment